School Support Services

Hours of Operation

Monday 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Holidays Closed (All Federal Holidays)


695 Buckner Lp
Bldg. 695
Google Map

Handicap Accessible

+1 (845)938-2092

Military DSN Tel:
+1 (312)688-2092

Write an ICE comment



School Support Services (SSS) provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources, and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child, Youth and School Services (CYSS), SSS is home to the School Liaison Office, where School Liaison Officers (SLOs) help deliver the best educational resources and information for your children. 

We specialize in education transitions, and make sure incoming and exiting Families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school services/programs, youth sponsorship programs and home schooling. We also help parents better understand the education process, school organization and interaction strategies.

How SLO Can Help
  • Build relationships and facilitate communication among Army Families and the local school community.
  • Inform and assist parents with school transitions and deployment challenges.
  • Establish school and community partnerships.
  • Facilitate access to home school resources for parents.
  • Provide information about college and other post-secondary opportunities and preparation materials.
  • Inform and assist parents on youth education and school issues. 
Local School Information

Local School Information

Registration Requirements

  • Birth Certificate
  • Immunization records (Interstate Compact authorizes military connected students 30 days to provide, if they are not available at the time of registration.
  • Copy of child's physical exam (NYS schools) -Proof of Residency (NYS schools), 3 forms of proof of residency are required (such as utility bill, phone bill, lease or paystub).
  • Lease Agreement (DoDEA) - includes James I. O'Neill HS if residing in on-base housing.
  • Copy of CURRENT orders OR Copy of student military ID (front only) OR DA 3434 OR SF50 (DoDEA)-  includes James I. O'Neill HS if residing in on-base housing.
  • Custody or guardian papers filed through the court (if applicable).


DDESS (West Point Elementary School)

  • The student must be 4 years of age by 1 September of the academic year he/she is enrolling, to start Prekindergarten. PreK is a half day program.
  • The student must be 5 years of age by 1 September of the academic year he/she is enrolling, to start kindergarten.  Kindergarten is a full day program. 

 New York State Education Department

  •  The student must be 4 years of age by 1 December of the academic year he/she is enrolling, to start Prekindergarten. NYS does not mandate PreK, contact your school district office.
  • The student must be 5 years of age by 1 December of the academic year he/she is enrolling, to start kindergarten.
  • According to The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children, The student shall be allowed to continue their enrollment at grade level in the receiving state, commensurate with their grade level (including Kindergarten) from a local education agency (LEA) in the sending state, at the time of transition, regardless of age. In the case of a Kindergarten student, the student must have been enrolled and attended class in the sending state in order to assure continued attendance in Kindergarten in the receiving state. A student that has satisfactorily completed the prerequisite grade level at the LEA in the sending state, shall be eligible for enrollment in the next highest grade level in the receiving state, regardless of age.
Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


Transferring with an IEP?

When transferring with an individualized education program, the new school is required to provide a free appropriate public education. This includes providing comparable services to those available through the current IEP. While the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act requires that the new school provide services, it does not require that the services at the new location be exactly the same as those provided by the previous school. Comparable services are services that are similar or equivalent to those outlined on the incoming IEP. The flexibility in the phrase "comparable services" allows the school to determine how best to provide a FAPE using the previous IEP as a guide to the needs of the child.

References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Home Schooling
National Home Education Network
New York Home Educators' Network
About.Com Home Schooling
Home Schooling Central
Education Week/Home Schooling

In/Out Processing

In/Out Processing
Per AR 600-8-101, all Soldiers with accompanying children/youth (from infant to age 18) will in and out process through CYSS/School Support Services for an explanation of the services of the School Liaison Officer.

Are you Out Processing soon? Here are some helpful tips.
Contact gaining school counselor for information regarding student re- cords, transfer credits, regulations, and placement. Have students most recent school records, separated by student. Please do not pack your child's school record with your house hold goods. Records should include: report cards, transcripts, special needs documents, shot records. Have address, phone and fax number of current school or alternate location if school has closed, as well as same information for new school, if determined before departure. Give current school adequate notice of your departure & formally process out of current school. Deliver all hand carried records to gaining school according to school policy & provide gaining school with previous school information so that records can be requested.

Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

Post-Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

  • Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information; G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits
In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965 apply.

College and Career Readiness:
College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College Preparation Resources

Getting ready for college means planning for the future and making some very important decisions. While there are endless search engines to help you in your endeavors below is a list of a few that you may find helpful.
Colleges Listed by State – Find hundreds of Colleges and Universities listed by state. You can apply online, request information or just begin gathering information about college.
Campus Tours – Take a virtual tour, view the interactive map, or watch a video of hundreds of campuses.
College Week Live – Join hundreds of colleges and universities from around the world. Watch application and admissions experts speak on a variety of topics, video chat with college students, visit virtual booths, real-time interactive Q&A with admissions officials, and more.
The Princeton Review.Com – Explore colleges, careers and majors. Let the website find a college for you based on your profile (location, size, major, etc)
My College Guide – Looking for the right college, want information about career choices, want to learn more about the admissions process?
Schools in the USA – View schools across the U.S. in one convenient, easy to use location. Compare criteria, including tuition costs, location, admission requirements, program start
dates and more.
In State Tuition – MilitaryHOMEFRONT is sending this special announcement to bring you up-to-date on the latest information available to troops and families, leaders, and service providers. Please share it with your families, staff, and coworkers!

eKnowledge – NFL Players, & Department of Defense Provide FREE SAT/ACT. Through a major education initiative, eKnowledge, NFL Players, & Department of Defense Provide are providing FREE SAT/ACT test preparation assistance to all active duty and retired military and their dependents nationwide.

Scholarship Information

The below links are for additional scholarship information.
Military Children’s Scholarship Handbook
Fisher House Foundation Scholarship Programs
If you are planning on attending a four-year college and are interested in receiving a tuition scholarship along with some of the best leadership training available, an ROTC scholarship may be right for you.
Scholarships for Military Children/Commissaries
You will find many scholarships offered by each branch of the military and military affiliated organizations.
Special educational benefits and aid are available for veterans and their dependants.
National and Federal aid is available through organizations such as DoDEA, the Department of Education and others.

The Provost’s Pre-College Summer Scholarship for Military High School Students seeks to provide full scholarships to students from a military family; the scholarship will cover the entire tuition and fees, airfare, ground transportation, room and board, and course materials. USC Summer Programs seeks to enhance, motivate, and inspire students to achieve higher academic, social, and ethical standards. The program is based on the following core values, which Scholars are expected to exemplify: a commitment to the value of education and developing community. The program offers students the chance to preview “freshman year” on a college campus.Deadline is March 1,  2017

For more information visit:

(If accessing PDF from government computer, "right click, save as")

Additional helpful Resources

Military OneSource 
Army OneSource   
Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation Command


Frequently Asked Questions

(If accessing PDF from government computer, "right click, save as")



•  West Point CYS Absence Reporting

•  West Point Parent Advisory Board

For more CYS information visit:
Child Care Services  |  Parent Outreach Services  |  Middle School Teen Center